You can let in as much natural light and air into the home as possible, but there will still be places that are dark and damp. These dark, damp places are more than a cosmetic issue; they are breeding grounds for mould.
There are 300,000 types of fungi, mould being one of them. They are commonly found in homes but are not easy to identify for everyone. Here is what you need to know to help recognize mould.
Symptoms of Mould Exposure
Mould can potentially cause health problems even if it does not make you visibly sick. Touching or involuntarily encountering mould can cause similar symptoms to an allergic reaction. The symptoms include:
- Runny nose regardless of allergy season and allergy triggers near you.
- Irritation in the eyes that makes them water.
- Coughing and sneezing along with a sore throat.
- A mould skin rash,which can be itchy, dry, and feels sensitive. It can even leak fluid.
Causes of Mould
Mould usually grows in spaces that have a higher moisture level. Moulds in a household mostly grow because of:
- Leaks in the roof or the foundation.
- High humidity inside the home.
- Severe flooding.
- Overflowing washing machines.
How to Identify Mould
Mould is visible, but sometimes a growth might just look like dirt. Fortunately, there are ways to test it out.
- You can use mould test kits. They can detect the presence of mould but can not detect the cause or tell you what to do about it.
- You can check it manually by making a solution of 1 part bleach and 16 parts water. Take a cotton swab and rub it on the spot that you suspect to be mould. If it comes back after cleaning, it is mould.
- You can check for mildew, a surface type mould that is gray or white that can be scrubbed away. Black or green patches indicate a stronger infestation.
- Mildew commonly does not cause structural damage, but there are types of moulds that can cause rot. If you suspect an area, probe it with a screwdriver. If the wood seems soft or crumbles easily, then the rot in the structure has started.
Professional Cleaning Services in Calgary
If you are looking for a professional cleaning service in Calgary to get rid of mould in your home, call us at GDI Home Services. We offer window and pressure washing services, area rug carpet cleaning, specialty cleaning, and more.
You can contact us for more information.