The days get longer, the weather turns warmer, and the flowers bloom. Spring is in the air and is the perfect time to declutter, organize, purge, and deep clean your home.
Spring cleaning your home is more than just reorganizing, decluttering, and removing dirt. A thoroughly cleaned environment can improve your overall well-being, reduce stress and anxiety, and allow you to relax and recharge in a calm and positive environment.
We put together this ultimate spring cleaning checklist to help you achieve a clean and organized home and ensure no nook or cranny remains untouched!
Organize and Declutter
- One room at a time, starting with the most cluttered areas, organize and sort items into four categories: keep, donate, sell, and discard.
- Wipe down and organize the items you are keeping utilizing bins, shelves, drawers, and boxes.
- Dust all surfaces starting from the top and working your way down. Ensure you include light fixtures, ceiling fans, the top of cabinets and cupboards, shelves, blinds, and furniture.
- Clean windows inside and out. Avoid using abrasive sponges or cleaning materials that could scratch the glass. Tip: Clean your windows on a cloudy day or early morning/late evening when the sun is not shining on the windows to prevent streaks from forming. If your windows have hard water stains or are difficult to access, consider hiring a professional window cleaner.
- Wipe down walls, doors, frames, and baseboards to remove dust, dirt, and fingerprints.
- Heat registers and air vents can easily be cleaned with a vacuum attachment or removed and cleaned with soap and water.
Make Your Floors Sparkle
- Vacuum carpets and area rugs thoroughly. Consider getting your carpets cleaned professionally every 12-24 months.
- Sweep and mop hard floors, ensuring that corners and underneath furniture are clean.
Deep Clean Your Kitchen
- Start from the top, wipe down the outside of cupboards, cabinets, the top of the fridge, hood vents, and appliances.
- Clean out the refrigerator, disposing of old or expired food and condiments. Wipe down shelves and inside drawers.
- Scrub the stovetop, inside the oven, the microwave, dishwasher, and sanitize the sink.
- Clean and wipe down your countertop appliances like coffee makers, blenders, toasters, and knife blocks.
- Wipe down the backsplash, countertops, underside of cabinets, inside of cupboards, and drawers.
- Organize and sort through items as you put them back.
Freshen the Bathroom
- Scrub the bathtub, shower, faucets, and walls.
- Clean and disinfect the toilet, sink, and countertops. Don’t forget to clean toilet paper holders, towel bars, light switches, cabinets, and knobs or handles.
- Wash shower curtains, bath mats, and rugs.
- Organize bathroom cabinets and drawers.
- Wipe down bathroom decor, soap dispensers, and toiletries.
Revitalize your Bedroom
- Wash or replace sheets, pillowcases, and comforters.
- Vacuum the mattress, and flip or rotate it.
- Wipe dressers, nightstands, makeup tables, and other bedroom furniture.
- Organize closets and drawers. Donate items you no longer wear, and store seasonal clothing.
Don't Forget the Odds and Ends
- Wash or dry clean curtains, throw pillows, and blankets.
- Vacuum upholstery and spot treat stains. For deep cleaning, contact a professional upholstery cleaning service.
- Polish stainless steel, replace light bulbs in fixtures, and check smoke detectors.
- Wipe down electronics, including TVs, cable boxes, computers, gaming consoles, remotes, and phones.
- Don’t forget to sanitize high-touch surfaces like door handles and light switches.
Follow this step-by-step spring cleaning checklist to clean and organize your home from top to bottom. Make a list, take things one step at a time, and prioritize which tasks are most important to you. Turn it into a family activity, get the kids involved, turn up some upbeat music, get your hands dirty, and bring that freshness of spring into your home.